View Single Post
      08-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #59
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln
"We also have a member over in Germany that changes them regularly and his friend is one of the M engineers that travels around to the various dealership and see alot of M car, he stated it is a very common problem that can be prevented."

Any division who thinks rod bearings is a "maintenance issue" is crazy. This is unacceptable for a factory car. Replacing the bearings is not even the correct solution. Instead you should be opening up the clearance a bit.

A "very common" problem on this particular issue is a "very serious" problem in my book.
Sounds like thinner oil is really just a band aid as we need the thinner oil for the tight clearances however need the 10w 60 to keep the oil cool when driven properly aggressive on the track.

Also sounds like changing the rod bearings at 50,000 to 100,000 mile intervals is also just a band aid... I would go on to say that just swapping out the bearings and not properly measuring the clearances as well as not sending the rod and crank to a machine shop to ensure the new bearings will fit well can lead to an even faster rate of wear before needing to replace again. As the rod bearings actually are supposed to sit on a layer of oil and actually not make any contact with the other surfaces at all. If the clearances are too tight no oil gets in between and you have the metal to metal contact.

I'm no engine builder or engineer however reading up on rod bearings it seems that aftermarket bearings come in 3 sizes... Original size, 1 step larger clearances, and 1 step smaller clearances. However I dont think as of yet there are aftermarket rod bearings in sizes other than oe size.

So I guess it's just going to have to be a waiting game while I hoon my ticking time bomb around the track. Will have to wait for BMW to catch wind of this and come up with a fix which seems to be rod bearings with bigger clearances.
Appreciate 0