View Single Post
      12-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

I've never driven a 335i, but the one time I drove a 135i I found that the turbo came on with a bang when you got on the throttle in a corner. I went half-way around a couple of times on an auto-x style course. The M3 is so controllable while the 335i is more of a blunt instrument, like a Porsche Turbo would be without four-wheel drive.

My theory is that he just plain missed the apex, so he hung on, feathered the throttle and just kept the car aimed at the exit. If he'd just kept doing that, he'd have been fine. However, once he figured he had it under control, he got on with the job of driving and gave the throttle a push. When the turbo kicked in, he got weight transfer to the rear, killing his front grip. The power just bulldozed the car off the track to the outside. To keep from going all the way off to the outside, he lifted off the throttle and his newly restored front grip launched him across the track to the inside, whereupon he just kept steering until he could stop.

As others have said, I think he did a good job of keeping it under control and not putting it on its roof.
Appreciate 0