12-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Problem? The OP doesn't use the computer for anything intense, so most of the stuff in that iMac is a complete waste of money.

The PC I built (over a year ago) slams that ~$2000 iMac into the ground. It was the first one I ever built. I watched a couple of videos online and figured it out. I plugged it in and it started up with no issues. If I can do it, then I'd say most people can. It's not hard.

Almost $2000 and it doesn't even have a SSD? What a joke...

Even if he was building a PC with those specs, I would tell him he's wasting money. You don't need 16GB of RAM for web surfing and Nickelodeon games.
I agree with you on this. But the principle i buy on is that while i don't need that stuff for what i'm doing now, in 6 years i'm not sure those specs aren't just what i might need. In the mean time, i can enjoy the piece of mind that i'm not going to purchase another computer for at least 7 or 8 years. As well as knowing that i can use that computer for just about anything i may get into over those 8 years.

Replacing PCs i purchased in 2005, I purchased 2 cheap PCs in 2009 (enter what every brand name you want) for my office. All that was required of them is to run MS office and light intent use. I had to replace 1 in 2011 and the other in 2012. The one i purchased in 2011 was just replaced again. All the while my 2005 mac is still carrying on like a champ, free of problems and viruses.

Granted, the reasons i had to replace those PCs would have likely been eliminated if i specified and built inexpensive PCs rather than buy cheap prebuilt ones. Or i could have purchased macs with specs i didn't need and not had to replace any of them or continually update and fight virus issues. The cost of the PCs purchased since 2005 is more than the cost of a mac at the time.

Not a mac fan boy, rather just speaking on personal experience. I'm sure there are PCs that i could have purchased in 2005 that would still be running fine, but for the layman, it's difficult to see what the difference between a $600 pc and an $1800 pc. But there is still the issue of virus protection to deal with. For that reason alone, i would buy a mac over PC for my kids to use regularly.