View Single Post
      03-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #109
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Performance spoiler painted by IND FINALLY going on!

...and I have to say, this install is a bitch. OEM spoiler had been on since 9/08, and you could tell. It was the worst debaging/removal jobs I've ever done. Even with heat and solvents, it was really tough. The paint also required a fair amount of correction because the OEM spoiler has a gap before it hits the tape that holds it on, so hard water and contaminants can pool in there and damage the clear. The good news is that you don't really have to correct all the paint because the performance spoiler covers about 75% of any damage left by the factory spoiler. Took like 3 passes by hand with Meg's 105, but in retrospect, I should have just busted out the porter and been done with it in 60 seconds.

...another comment I would add is that K1 dries to a hard rubber consistency. So it isn't entirely accurate that items applied with it cannot be removed; they will just be very hard to remove. Also found a guy on the e90 post section here that was able to remove his spoiler - took him 3 hours : O

The sides are on incredibly well, but my spoiler was not a great fit to be honest - took a fair amount of work to get it to sit right and it still isn't perfect. Specifically it was close to impossible to get it to sit properly on the sides AND in the middle. Still, I think it will be about 98% when cured. Will post additional gotchas when I have the finished product and can analyze what I could have done better and if there are any problems.

I also de-badged the back. Once I mocked up the spoiler, the back was too busy for me, but I'm a minimalist. Much more aggressive and exotic looking from the rear now IMHO.

Have a great day folks!
Appreciate 0