05-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Now that I've got my amp choice figured out and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the SWS subs, I'm trying to decide if the 2 ohm or 4 ohm SWS would be best for my application. The amp I'm planning to use will put out either 750W @ 4 ohm or 1150W @ 2 ohm. So that means each SWS will get either 375W or 525W. My first questions is are there any differences other than impedence between the 2 ohm and 4 ohm SWS? My other question is do you think 525W per woofer would pretty much explode them being that they are only rated for 150W? I'm confident they would be able to handle the 375W with no problem since the amp gains would probably be set to minimum anyway. Headroom is great and all but there's gotta be a limit somewhere.

I have run 125W rated subs off 300W before and it was fine. The limiting factor was that the woofer would max out on excursion far before any clipping of the amp was evident. I also ran a 250W sub off 600W and it was the same thing. I'm guessing I would probably be looking at the same issue with the SWS.
Which amp did you end up going with??
Appreciate 0