View Single Post
      11-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Well I voted with my mind. My convoluted often befuddled mind. I say no more than $57k base msrp, possibly lower. There's a reason why BMW has skimped on standard features and offered cloth seats on the base US car: to make it more attainable for more of its target consumers. And to those that care less about how much it'll all cost, BMW will also be gracious enough to nickel and dime you with options galore so that you may buy a $70k+ fully-optioned M3 should you desire to. No doubt the base M3 will be priced to sell, but it will also be priced to take advantage of the typical US customer who have a natural tendency to check everything on the options list, complain momentarily from sticker shock, then go ahead and buy the damn car anyway. A base "stripper" M3 will be attractively priced at around $55-57k because it will need to compete with the likes of the C63, IS-F, the better-equipped (standard feature-wise) but more expensive Audi RS4, and on the lower end of the spectrum, the prettier-looking new S5 which although underpowered will undoubtedly be cross-shopped with the M3 (I know I did) since it's a relative bargain at a base price of $50,500 already nicely equipped. That's a hell of a lot competition.

I believe such a pricing scheme (low base msrp, high fully-optioned msrp) will make for a harmonic exchange of funds from the consumers to BMW. Just my $0.02.
Well, I believe your two cents are right on other than I am with Gregg in thinking the tide is turning against the M3 with reasonable pricing and BMW will probably try to use some fancy smancy marketing ploy by pricing it like 59,999, so we will be able to to tell everyone we got her for under 60k. Just so happens to be, we will fail to mention gas guzzler tax, destination charges, fees this and fees that, and more taxes and license, which will put it close to the mid 60s. And without checking a single option. But hey, we did get her for under 60 k now didn't we. Reminds me of those who return from Vegas and always say they come out ahead on the poker tables. Then I wonder, who really is financing all the mega resorts in the barren desert.
Appreciate 0