MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Riss Racing X-Pipe w/ HFC & Stock Muffler Review *Updated*

I recently got the Riss Racing X-Pipe w/ high flow 200cell cats, using the stock muffler. Once I got in the shop my car was quickly put on the lift and for install. Installation went smooth and no problems really came in the way during the installation. I'm glad to say there are NO leaks whatsoever as each piece is 100% bolt-on and they either use OEM seals or their seals that look very high in quality.

The weight of the x-pipe felt almost half of the stock piece, and the welds and quality of steel looked promising.

Removing 4 stock cats and 2 resonators for 2 high flow cats and no resonators I thought this thing would drone like crazy, especially with the stock exhaust. I'm happy to say there is literally no drone at any rpm over 2k. Anywhere from 65-75mph it sounds exactly the same as stock, and I'm not joking when I say that. Once you step on the throttle the car is quite loud, and if you hit red line at WOT the thing sounds like a race car. When the exhaust is cold, there is rasp quite early in the rev range (3-3.5k) but once fully warmed up the rasp comes on later at around 5-6k rpm. Some may like it, some may hate it but for sure it sounds like an animal when WOT. I personally believe this x-pipe would make pretty much any free-flowing aftermarket exhaust sound awesome.

With the HFC solution, there is no apparent smell different from the stock setup, which is very nice.

As for power, the torque increase from 2.5k rpm to 6k rpm that's very noticeable. What really surprised me was I had four guys in my car including me, I was red lining 2nd gear and the pull actually felt impressive, whereas before w/ the stock setup, four guys in my car would really bog down my car and make it feel only mediocre. This x-pipe makes the low to mid-range torque actually pretty good compared to stock. Overall the car pulls harder with a very noticeable increase in torque.

My only gripe about this setup is, I got a SES light due to increased emissions after about 45 miles of driving with it on. Anthony from Riss Racing will be working with me on this for a possible solution in the future. If you're going to get a tune, then don't even worry about this. Honestly for the amount of positives that come with this mod, the SES light isn't a big deal.

All in all this mod was money well spent, and I'm happy to say Riss Racing's X-Pipe w/ HFC is impressive. Here are some pictures of the X-Pipe and HFC, installation pictures and a quick cold-start video. I will be taking drive-by & in car videos shortly!

Positives:
No drone above 2k rpm
Noticeable increase in HP and TQ
Little to no exhaust smell

Negatives:
SES light came on in 50 miles
Some serious rasp with stock muffler (some may like it)

Here's the stock setup

Here's the X-Pipe next to stock

Some close pictures of the 200 cell cats

Here are the final installation pictures!

Here's the car at cold start up.

A couple drive-bys

Here are the in-car videos. Excuse the poor focusing and weird zoom at times

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs

Last edited by MrHarris; 07-30-2009 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0