Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
I also heard it was Bridgestones. This is where I'm getting my info:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....=0#entry402886

Just how many asterisks need to accompany Nissan's claimed 7:2x ring time? First of all, it was achieved using a wheel/tire combination not currently available anywhere in the world but Japan and only authorized to be installed at a handful of garages in Japan. Who knows just how soft those specially developed VSpec Bridgestones are? As for the suspension tweaks, okay, so let's say you are lucky enough to have a nearby Nissan dealer competent enough to make the adjustments. Do you then adjust the car back to stock every time you're done racing? How long do your tires last if you leave the "racetrack" suspension settings in place? I can assure you, a buyer of a GT3 or GT2 needn't jump through the hoops one has to with a GT-R to have a hope of matching the manufacturer's claimed times.
The info I have is that the Bridgestones are no softer than the normal Bridgestones on the regular GTR only they have a unique tread pattern.

I do agree that an agressive racetrack suspension setup would eat tyres more but it all depends on whether you call that as cheating. I'm just happy in the knowledge that my guess on the suspension geometry being tweaked was indeed correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
If one closely reads the exception clauses in Nissan's latest warranty statement, it's not that much of a grasp. I think it's a legitimate question. If one were to take their UK purchased GT-R to the ring and attempt to replicate Nissan's times, would one's warranty be covered should something break?
I can't argue with your debate here but the same could be said for many manufacturers, I haven't had the misfortune to have a problem on a track with a Porsche to have the need to make that call to the dealer but I doubt they would be at much more willing to cover costs.

P.S.

CAR magazine did hand a GT3 and GTR to a ring master by the name of Andy Gulden. Having only do one lap and never driven a GTR before plus the fact that it was rhd and not his familiar side to sit he achieved a 7:51, now this was a full lap with the extra 200m of pit lane. Is that time that poor considering the lack of knowledge of the car and driving on the wrong side plus getting only one hot lap.

BTW on the familiar GT3(lhd) he did a 7:49.

Is it that much of a stretch to expect the same driver given a few hundred laps (probably the amount he had done in a Porsche) and in a lhd GTR that his time would drop by a minimum of 10+ seconds, or to put it another way, 8+ seconds quicker than a GT3 which is believed to lap the ring in 7:38.

P.S.

Dirk Schoysman (another ring master) drove a V-spec GTR on one hot lap and posted a time of 7:44 without hitting the power button. Afterward he said he was only 95% committed so how much of a drop would pushing a full 100% and using the button do to the lap time?

Dare I say a possible 7:20.
Appreciate 0