10-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #41
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkgmd View Post
I got my 2011 E93 with the performance exhaust new from the dealer in August. Sounds great on startup and at high revs, but accelerating through about 3800 to 4000 rpm, any gear, any speed produced a horrendous drone that resonated throughout the cabin, just at that narrow range of rpm. Of course during the break in period you kind of live at that range when you are driving normally. It was very noticeable to my passengers, but the service center just said it was a characteristic of the exhaust. After several complaints I drove it around with a technician and he agreed it couldn't be normal but there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the installation of the parts. Ultimately they agreed to replace the exhaust under warranty. Now it's overall a bit quieter, and while I can still make out the drone it's much shorter, quieter and more tolerable than before, but certainly still there. Apparently other cars with the performance exhaust don't do this, and my car without any exhaust didn't make the noise in testing, which I wasn't there for. Not sure if I should scrap it and go back to stock exhaust, but it's already included in my lease and they said I'll have to pay extra for the stock exhaust. I'm bummed because otherwise I love the car and I really like the sound of the system at idle and during hard accelerating.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
Are you bull shitting us?