02-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
(RESERVED)
Great writeup! For anyone doing it, your words of wisdom will be helpful. When I did mine, replacing lines first, then a bbk, I followed someone else's advice and locked the brake pedal in the partially depressed position before I started. All I did was put a stick between the front seat and the pedal (protect the seat with a towel) and run the seat forward far enough to apply the brakes. Then you release the pressure in the calipers by opening and closing the bleed screws (use your catch bottle).

This procedure blocks the duct from the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder, so when you disconnect the caliper hoses, they hardly drip at all. So long as the pedal remains depressed, brake fluid can't drain down from the reservoir and make a mess.

Another point about the anti rattle springs on the OEM calipers. They're not particularly stiff and you can just squeeze them with your fingers and they'll disengage and come off. That way they don't go shooting around the place, and you don't risk damaging the caliper paint with a tool.
Appreciate 0