Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
The MT is a dinosaur in terms of its likelihood to survive into the future.

BMW is thinking global instead of niche market. From an accounting standpoint it makes no sense to continue offering a manual transmission that is really used in a very small percentage of their product line.

I'm sure they are willing to lose a few sales to purists who demand a MT in their sports cars -- because they sell a hell of a lot more SUVs and sedans with ATs to make up the difference.

Hell even Porsche purists admit the PDK shifts faster and better and gets better fuel economy than the manual transmission. I think the MT is going to be a very small % of Porsche future sales too -- and as soon as that happens the bean counters will kill it.

To me sometimes its not about being more efficient or being able to shift faster. There is something about driving a 6mt that a DCT transmission cannot substitute. I could careless if it can shift faster than me or if it saves me gas money. For me its all about the feeling of driving the car and without a clutch pedal I can't say that I fully enjoy it. Yes I have driven the DCT quite a bit and use to own an SMG e46.