03-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #39
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
I'm all for some "spirited" driving but that sounds reckless. Driving that fast should be saved for the track. If they make fun of you for not being reckless with them then they are probably not the kind of people you want to associate with. Eventually something bad will happen when you're pushed outside of your comfort zone.

When I lived in Tucson I got together with some local guys for a drive and it was a similar situation. They left me in the dust on a road I had never driven and 10 minutes in a guy crashed into a tree. He jumped in someone else's car (he was not hurt) and they all took off again. When we got to our destination they gave me a hard time for being so slow, even the guy that left his car against the tree. I never went anywhere with them again.

If you're not a member already, consider joining the BMWCCA and go to one of the HPDE events. It's off public roads and you'll have an instructor in the car with you, teaching you about driving techniques. It's probably the safest way to have a great time in your car around other like-minded enthusiasts.
I will look into this. It sounds exactly like what I need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
You will love it and come away with a new appreciation for your car, driving and how bad the motoring public is. And go buy a helmet. Even if you never use it again, its a cool piece to have around as conversation starter

Or you could do what I do. Just wear it back and forth to work
This is what I'm hoping for Mike. I also thought I could turn my helmet upside down and fill it with M&M's. Red ones, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
+1000! Congrats Cheryl!!!

OP: Ditch those guys... they sound like a bunch of posers. The guys who speed the most on public roads are the slowest on the track - it's pathetic.
Thanks bestie. I just really want to get some track time in so I'll be really skilled at handling the Beast this summer. Oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I have gone on a lot of caravan runs over the past few years and I def know what your talking about. I myself do not enjoy driving all out on the HWY or any other non track locations. It is a common theme with all caravans I seem to go on that its all about who can go the fastest and show off their cars speed and exhaust note.

What I usually do is just roll at the speed that I am comfortable at and if that means I show up late or slightly behind the group I am ok with that. So my advice to you would be to do the same. If you are not comfortable driving at the caravan speeds don't. Enjoy the drive and catch everyone at the end point.
This is what I plan to do at the next run next month. I will give it one more shot. Worst comes to worst, I'm just turning around and coming back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
That's got to be one of life's weirdest feelings. When you're getting along with a group of people who all seem to be normal like you consider yourself, then they all turn out to be batshit crazy, and you're left with the option of going along with it or being the guy that gets up and leaves.

It was like this when two or three of my closest friends in high school started snorting coke and injecting heroin. I was like, WTF, I thought we were all of the same mindset here, left, and never hung out with them again.

I think I'd get the same feeling if people were making fun of me for not going 140mph on public canyon roads.
My thoughts exactly. The group all gets along so well, and then they turn into people I didn't even recognize on this run. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Hate to be off-topic but what other cars were there?
They were all different models of BMW's. Of course, i was the only one who needed to stop for gas! There was one beautiful Audi TTS in the coolest Orange color with black wheels. He was the nice guy who hung with me. Actually, at lunch, the guy who was driving the fastest asked him why he was hanging back. He answered "To stay with Cheryl." Now, that's a nice man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Freeeek! View Post
Good for you for sticking to your guns, staying within your comfort zone, and not being reckless! It's obvious that you are very assured about both yourself and what your car is capable of doing and don't feel the need to prove anything. I'm sure the kind of reaction you experienced is due to ego issues as well as the excitement of chasing the thrill. Regardless, it is most unfortunate. Did those guys seem at all concerned that they were driving at speeds that could send them to lockup?! I understand that it's easy to get caught up in the moment, but it amazes me that people are so willing and eager to engage in the kind of activity that could turn very bad all around if/when caught. Or even worse, when god forbid an innocent bystander becomes a victim. The $$$$ expense associated with getting through such an undesirable predicament could buy A LOT of track time.

Speaking of which, congrats on your upcoming track time...I bet you are muy excited!!!
I am really excited and a little bit scared too! I'll let you know how it goes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
Hi Chery,

Sorry to hear the fellows gave you such a hard and stressful time. Perhaps you enjoy going to a meet more you can drive at your own pace you know what I mean

We had a meet here on Saturday ... it was great fun ---> Click here to check it out
Wow, what great pix!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Cheryl, you didn't do anything wrong, stick to your comfort zone. At the end, you will still have your car to drive tomorrow and the next day. You don't have to prove anything to anybody on what the M can do, it should be self explanatory on what your car can do. Sorry that the guys gave you a hard time, I myself do not like driving with idiots like that.
Thanks for your support. What really surprised me is these guys were my age or older.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0