View Single Post
      10-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

As mentioned above.... find a few bikes that actually fit you and then choose from there. Minor changes in geometry are possible with bar and peg swap-outs.

I'm currently on an R1200S. It fits, it goes faster than I can ride it, it's well made. Good enough. The last Duc I had was a new 907ie. I've ridden several since and just cannot get comfortable. The 851 is iconic but needs saddle time to get used to it. The 996 is crippling after a couple of hours. The 1098 and 1198 just feel too small. Totally a personal thing. I have two friends with Monsters and both love them.

Getting to a "fit" is not a shy "may I sit on the bike?" for three seconds and then climbing off thinking "I guess that felt OK." Get on, stay on, shift your weight, close your eyes, keep staying on. After at least a full five minutes you'll have a better idea if it fits. Then, a test ride would be nice. You can always find a test ride opportunity in the used bike listings and maybe you'll find the actual bike you buy.

Having said all that, I really like the tech of the BMW S1000RR and will probably make it my next bike at some point.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0