View Single Post
      05-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #93
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriFix View Post
I hope it's a typo!! That is the correct link, but I'm sure when I posted it originally it stated 3600rpm. It is possible they have changed the disk inside (which, I think, is sourced from Seagate).

It is still possible that a 1.8" hard drive running at 5400rpm may not excede the power/voltage available from the USB port in the car. From most peoples experience though, the 2.5" drives that run at 5400rpm don't work. The BMW USB port lives in a strange backward world where slower is actually better

Yep, jm1234, that Amazon link is to the same disk that I have.
Amazon says 3600, your original post said 3400 so I wasn't sure if that was the real number or 5400 was or the Amazon figure. Sounds like 3600 is the correct one and that matches Amazon so thank you.

The larger drives spin at 5400. The only reason I would get them is because they are cheaper. It will be a few decades before I need more than 60GB so I'll get the 60GB drive and stop trying to be so cheap.

Do you ever have skipping issues with the drive? How about if you open and close the center console. That is the only concern I would have going this route rather than the flash drive route. The bigger drive means I don't have to down sample the music to make it fit and that's a huge plus to me but I would like to know if you've ever had skipping with the hard drive!

And thanks so much for helping.
Appreciate 0