Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderbilt View Post
I am affected by this and joined this forum as a result of reading this thread.

I have a 2011 (100% stock, never modified) with 25k miles on it. I currently own three M3s -- two E46s and this E92. The E92 is my 'happy' car, I love the near-telepathic throttle response and drive it after particularly long days to unwind. The car (unlike my E46s) has never seen the track, has never been abused, and has never even had a bent 19" rim.

I took the car to the dealer (where I purchased the car) after hearing a faint clunking noise from the rear. A week later I am handed a "quote" for $6000. The differential bolt is broken off at the bushing. The dealer claims the sub-frame must be replaced. The dealer had an "FSE" come look at the car, who claims the car has had bottom impact damage.

I asked to see the damage myself and the damage is an inch long maybe 1/8" deep scratch to the passenger side fuel tank and some wear on a few of the differential fins, maybe from kissing a speed bump or road debris?

The dealer wants to replace the subframe, differential bushing & bolts, and fuel tank. They claim due to the "impact" it is not a warranty issue and I have to go through insurance.

I have a perfect driving record; going through insurance will be an at-fault accident which is unacceptable to me. I did not hit anything with the car and I have a hard time believing the fuel tank damage (a scratch, basically) is correlated to the differential, especially since the fuel tank sits higher than the exhaust and there is no exhaust damage whatsoever.

Dealership technician confirmed they found no hints of abuse whatsoever and could tell I took really good care of the car, saying it was "perfect" -- but claim they have never seen a broken differential bolt before and it must have been caused by impact. They also claim that it is BMW's decision and not theirs since the FSE wrote it up as accident damage.

Not sure how to proceed, advice appreciated. I think I could have the car towed to a reputable independent and have a new bushing and bolt installed at minimal cost, since this appears from this thread to be a relatively common issue, but I feel cheated by the dealer and their response.
Scares the hell out of me.. 46K almost now on my baby.

I do get that wheel hop now and again when the wheels are spinning... No clunking or anything abnormal yet (*knocks on wood*)

Really tired of hearing stories about BMW's failure to take responsibility for things like this and their propensity to incessantly blame the owner.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0