View Single Post
      03-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
There is no federal law that limits your ability to keep a CEL light from coming on due to increased emissions with an off road system. Doing so triggers the readiness monitors to show not ready which is what the system is designed to do so that emissions inspection stations know you have modified your exhaust system when they scan the OBD system. The only time you are breaking the law is when you manipulate the OBD system to trick the testing station into thinking you have not modified your exhaust when you actually have.

If you are concerned with being 100% emissions compliant at all times I would suggest keeping catalytic converters in the car.
I'm concerned about having 100% functionality of the rear O2 sensors with the least legal risk possible.

I'm not looking to trick anyone. My car will be 100% emissions compliant when it's tested. It's highway patrol and emissions checkpoint traps that worry me. I am attempting to determine which provides less legal risk in such a scenario. Is leaving the rear sensors on with an increased range going to increase my legal risk in such a scenario above and beyond simply shutting them off completely?
Appreciate 0