View Single Post
      01-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #24
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
That may well be true...but it's a little ironic considering that I drive an M3. I just want the same tough looks with the E92 as with the E46, and it seems that BMW has really softened their look.

Clean and modern is great...just not boring! They really softened up the look of the E92...it's not as tough...no fender flares...and a big smiling front air dam instead of the one on the E46 that looks like it is going to swallow up whatever is in its path. They've made it very "metro," if you know what I mean. This version is by far the most bland looking...earlier versions, dating back to the E30 were much wilder, IMO.
I believe it was the designer of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage that said, "The best sports car designs incorporate both masculine and feminine design aspects." Clearly you can see how this philosophy is behind the V8 Vantage and I think the M3 fits it just as well. Rounded corners with some strong creases is becoming more common and the sharp square shapes (aside form Cadillac) are going out of style. This has also come about since manufacturing techniques and costs now allow for it, as well as material constraints and manipulation.

As far as the fender flares go, the M3 definitely has them. They aren't overwhelming but nor are they absent either. If you ask me I'd say that the fender flares on the e46 M3 are not really that big either, and I believe the degree of actual flare between the M3 and the normal 3-series fenders would be about equal.