View Single Post
      09-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #51
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
swamp,

Subaru have continually been in the top ten for reliability for as many years as I can remember, likewise Honda who are renowned for making high-revving engines.

Of course you can name more N/A engines cars that are reliable, mainly because there is more produced in the world but if you look at the JDP rating you will see certain brands are continually high, regardless of what type of engine is their preferred choice, it's their engineering skills which come into play. BMW are renowned for N/A engines, VAG for turbo-diesels, Mercedes for large capacity, Honda for small capacity high revving, etc, etc. Each have their own philosophy on how to get the desired results but it's your own personal opinion which you feel is the right way about it.

All I know is that VAG turbo diesel and petrol engines are as reliable as any non-turbo engines. My TTMk1 225hp which produced 125hp/ltr has covered 180,000 miles without any major repairs, and the reason I know this is I happened to see the car the other day and got the talking to the new owner, third one in the books.

As Bruce has already said it all down to how the engine is designed that determines it's reliability, push the boundaries by it high revving or increasing the boost pressure and you will reduce any engine's reliability......FACT.
Appreciate 0