Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I'd say applying inflation calculations across a complete product rework is not accurate in the first place. Inflation should account for prices of the same product or service over time. Sure you can argue that an E46 M3 "is" an E92 M3 since they are each, during certain time periods, current model M3s. I would find it reasonable to pay more than inflation when a product undergoes a radical change like E46->E92 and this is clearly more radical than the E36->E46 but only based on I6->V8, since the E36->E46 change was a new car from the ground up as well, despite similar engine layouts.
Point wasn't to be robotically precise but just to illustrate that price ceilings have to change over time and that the current average guesstimate E92 base price is not nuts, despite all the hubbub.

As for whether the models "are" equivalent in that sense, well, I'd say that BMW is pricing them at that goal, since there are other BMW models just above and below those price points where differentiation becomes a problem (price it high = why not get an M5 or 911, price it low = why do people buy 335's, etc.)
Appreciate 0