01-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #71
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
If you read through all the posts, Dinan says that they've considered the system comprehensively. They made both the guide support and bumpstop shorter to allow for more travel before contacting the bump stop.

So, it seems that the Dinan setup would have closer behavier compared to stock, but we cannot know for sure w/o testing.
I understand what the thread said, but I want to hear Lucid's opinion on whether after reading all of the Dinan articles and their statements whether he feels they have. To be honest, I don't think any manufacturer was in the room with the //M suspension guys, so none of them really know why the frequencies of the springs were set at what they were set at. For example, assuming the frequencies Orb posted are correct, they seem much lower than what many would suggest for a "sports car". Now I understand our cars are not "sports cars" as a ferrari or Z06 but they perform well on the ring and are not just some sporty coupe; they were more purpose built than that. Which means the spring rates were set at that frequency because of something they did with the shocks and struts and the geometry of the suspension. All of those things are thrown out the window if Dinan, or any other manufacturer for that matter, sets the spring rates of their springs so that they deviate from stock; adding custom bump stops might address suspension travel but new springs affect so much more than just suspension travel.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0