01-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #199
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
Drew, any updates as to what actually caused the failure?
I don't think drew will ever be able to definitively tell you what caused the failure. Gintani has not let anyone look at the engine up close, except for the video that was posted a few days ago. Also in the video they never had the crankshafts out of either of the motors there....... If they showed the crank journals along with the bearing shells in their video it may have been a little easier to determine the actual cause.

I was able to talk to drew a few times since the failure and based on what he told me, I am pretty sure I know what caused the engine to fail. I can't post the info on here since it may not be taken well by some people, if Drew wants to he can.

All I can say is that with his current configuration with the ESS VT3 Low Compression Supercharger kit, I think the engine will be nice and reliable. ESS has a good track record with supercharging these engines, over 300 kits sold worldwide, and I myself am not aware of a failure with one of their engines yet.