12-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
sqweak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
If we're using epic race car drivers as a scale point (that 1%), then technically no one should perform performance mods on their car. I see plenty of supercharged cars, KW V3's/Clubsports, BBK's that are on daily driven cars that never see track use, drag use etc. And again, I don't see you being a mean ol' Mr. Grinch whenever those guys hold those home photoshoots. So, from position A, what's the difference?
Don't throw the baby without the bath water. It certainly is a matter of scaling (see below). That said, using whether or not I've snarked against someone's mods as a barometer for it's stupidity/validity is inherently flawed. I am certainly not the dictator of mods, just a man with an opinion...who apparently felt like introducing myself to the regional board by snarkily pissing in someone's cheerios.

Quote:
I also have a position B, which is about the benefit of a performance mod. Sure, only a professional could fully utilize the benefits of a rear trunk spoiler, but then, on that same token, only a professional could fully utilize a BBK, or a supercharger, or even just brake pad and fluid changes on the stock system, OR even the car in it's fully stock form. I don't personally get why everyone is always "zomg reach fur zhe limitz" , we'll never get there unless it's something you dedicate your life to. It's a HOBBY, and even though you won't reach the limit of your vehicle stock OR modded, adding performance mods can raise that limit and make your car more enjoyable and easier to drive at a faster level, under the car's limit, but at yours. Think of it as a scaling effect.
You nailed it on the scaling effect, but i'll apply in a slightly different way. I think what makes obscene aero a sore point to me is that exact scale. For pretty much every *other* mod you listed their impact can be felt at 2/10ths instead of 9/10ths.

Quote:
Also, regarding the paint, what gives? I don't get these forum clowns sometimes. A car's dirty it's sacrilegious (poor OC3 ), a car's clean it's sacrilegious, a car's painted it's sacrilegious, a car's naked carbon it's sacrilegious, it's some twisted breeding ground for hatred.
on being called a clown

I wasn't taking a side on which is right or wrong just citing the attention as evidence of the mod as primarily cosmetic one :P

Quote:
I can agree with you here where "thinly veiled blatant promotion" isn't valuable, it's unfortunate that 99% of the reviews about vendors on this forum, board sponsors OR not, is that kind of material. I don't think that fanboy ranting is acceptable just because it's paid for from a usefulness standpoint, but money talks, eh? It's unfortunate that a reviews can only be made in a bland, tired, lethargic way just because the shop in question is not a board sponsor, never mind the potential usefulness of the information. I think xchosun1x structured his review in a way that he was actually feeling: I met with him later and boy, was he jumping up and down in excitement. I guess that enthusiasm translates poorly on the boards as "advertising for a non-sponsor" though. Sponsors are zhe powur!
Perhaps your personal knowledge of chosun's personality helped you read it differently. To me it wasn't an enthusiastic detailed review but 4 lines of marketing hype with "i bought this this and this" in the middle of one of them. To me, that's an ad (and a poor one at that) and why I called it out. I don't wish to be the sponsor nazi* or get into a larger debate about why sponsor $s are valuable/necessary to run a site like this, I only referenced them because in contrast it would permit (though not necessarily validate or excuse) an otherwise lacking ad post.

I think chosun might have had good intentions and it just got lost for me. As a community member I would certainly *love* to see a detailed introduction/tour/review of a shop, sponsor AND not, this just wasn't it.

* = poor form on invoking Godwin's Law. Simply expressing my opinion is certainly not worthy of comparison to nazi's

Quote:
Y'know sqweak, I really like you. Sure, we have differing viewpoints, but your response wasn't atypical of the mindless drivel I've come to expect of this forum. I get the feeling that you're the kind of person I'd be terrific friends with in person.
Likewise! Thanks for the well written and intelligent discourse. I do agree it's a cut above a lot of what I see around here.

Chosun:
Nothing personal man, and I hope you take no offense. Just as it's my right to have and state my opinion it's certainly your right to do whatever you want to your car and post whatever you want about it/shops/etc.

WWJD:
In the same vein, I hope you also take no offense at this . I wish you the best of luck at the hard work of running a business.

Perfectly willing/happy to meet up with LateBraking/chosun/wwjd at a local meet and buy y'all a coffee to prove it's no hard feelings.
Appreciate 0