08-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #352
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
To call the M3 a "grocery getter" is just silly. It is NOT the pure sports car that some other might be be calling it a grocery getter shows either that you are just trying to stir up crap or just don't get what the car is.

Although you believe it is a "fact", the R8, especially the V8, is NOT a super car. It is Porsche 911S level performance. How does that level of performance make it a super car? Do you consider a 911S a super car? Sure it is more of a pure sports car but a super car it isn't. The V10 is approaching the status of super car. A Z06 and the GTR would kick the crap out of an R8 and neither would really be considered a super car. The R8 is an amazing sports car but you seem to have it on some kind of pedastal where it doesn't belong.

To say the M3 has no presence on the road is also ridiculous... will it get the same attention as a Ferrari or Lambo? Of course not but it is NOT just another BMW. I have owned BMWs that were not M3s and they were anonymous... the M3 gets a TON of attention. It has a lot of presence and is well respected by anyone who follows and cares about performance cars.

Lastly, to say the M3 can't do the track properly is a load of crap. It is just as capable as a Cayman or base 911 on the track. Would you say those cars can't "do the track"? When I'm at HPDEs, instructors actually ask to take my M3 out. Two of the instructors own M3s and could have picked most any car.

I do NOT have any delusions of grandeur relative to the M3. I know what it is and what it isn't. It is NOT a pure sports car. As I said earlier, it is NOT an R8 on the track. BUT it is NOT a grocery getter either and it is damn close to an R8 on the track. I have actually spent time in the R8 driving it and, although it is a more capable track car, it is better to some extent due to the AWD that allows you to power through corners and less because of power or balance. Either you have ideas of other cars that are NOT realistic or you don't really understand/appreciate the M3. Again, I am NOT an M3 fanboy or believe the M3 is more than it is but I do know that it is a VERY capable car that is competitive with cars much more expensive and on par with many more "pure" sports cars. Sure it is a jack of all trades and a master of none but what you are overlooking is that on the things where it is not a "master" it is still very, very close to cars that are. If you need a dedicated track car, there are better choices, absolutely. If you need a car that is competitive with almost every car at the track but it is also a car that you can drive daily and, yes, pick up a few groceries then the M3 is a great choice... MUCH better than an R8
1. Entitled to your opinion my friend. Around these parts, an M3 is a dime a dozen. Nobody really looks at them around here. Or Florida...or California...They're everywhere....You don't have some kind of masterpiece. The M3 has been milked. When it passes by, everybody thinks it's 328i with quad exhausts. It doesn't have any presence on the road. Only a REAL auto enthusiast will be able to see the air ducts and the mirrors and tell the difference. The average Joe really won't know what it is. BMW in general is now becoming Ford and Chevy of of the Luxury car brands. YOU have the M3 in the wrong place. It IS just another BMW. You can thank BMW's new mentality of lets milk the M badge for all it's worth. That's why everyone and their mother now has one.

2.Notice that I praised the M3 for being able to keep up with the R8 4.2 a page back. The GT-R puts up supercar numbers so that makes it as supercar in my book.

The rest of what I wanted to say was said below.

3. TL;DR.

4. I'm sure the F3x will be an amazing car, no doubt. My only concern is that BMW will keep cutting corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
I agree with Hot|Ice, the R8 is absolutely a supercar. A supercar is defined by what then for those who don't think it is?

The R8 has an Exotic mid-engine chassis,an exotic high revving V8 engine, and a dry sump oil lubrication system. That sure sounds like a supercar to me. If your only reason against it being a supercar is it's power, then what about the 360 Modena among others?

The engine in the R8 is deserving of sitting in a supercar, just like the S65 V8 in the M3 is. The difference between being a sporty GT and a supercar lines in the package as a whole.
You understand me.
Appreciate 0