07-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #344
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
True if straight line speed is all that matters to you. I always get frustrated when people brag about stop light race ability (not saying that is what you are doing). ANY car can be made to be stupid fast in a straight line and just because the R8 (V8) and M3 are comparable for straight line speed doesn't mean a lot IMO.

The M3, as much as I love it, is not an R8 on a track or in the twisties. It is not as pure of a sports car. It is very close and price/performance is arguably better but price aside, it is NOT an R8. The M3 is more practical, more comfortable and 95% of the performance but if I wanted a pure weekend/track car and money didn't matter, I would pick the R8. The reason I own an M3... and the reason I believe the F3x M3 will be in my garage... is because it is the best overall compromise available. You get a little R8, a little 911 GT3, and a little regular 3 series.

For those who say the M3 is too soft, I don't agree. I have driven the 911S, an R8 and been in a GT3 at the track and the M3 is not as pure of a sports car as any of those three but it is NOT soft... it is very capable and will hang with those cars on the track (well, maybe not with the GT3 but that is in another leaque). It is more "comfortable" than the others for daily use but not "soft".
You really can't compare the two together. The R8 is a midengined super car and the M3 is a front engined grocery getter. It's just impressive for the M3 to keep up with the R8 in a straight line nonetheless. On the track, it's a different story.
Appreciate 0