Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
2nd radio

After many hours I decided not the change the radio... Here is why. My local dealer got full cooperation from BMW AG I was told.

It seems that the original radio is needed for any programming on the car. All software updates go through the Navi-radio. A EU-settings radio is possible, however cannot be used for programming by the dealer. So, you would need to keep the original US radio for programming and have an extra EU radio for the radio itself.

Swapping the radios would cost approx 1,000 EUR, an extra radio would cost me 2,200 EUR.
Also, everytime you bring the car for service, the dealer would need to swap the EU radio for the US radio before servicing. Then any software updates would need to through the EU radio in a EU specs car before swapped into your US Specs car.

Basically, it is possible the have a EU specs radio in your US Specs car, but you would need to keep an extra radio (the original) for servicing, and you future servicing cost would increase... I found that quite an hassle, so I passed on that.

Now just hope that someone would find a software fix for this issue...

Let me know if any questions!
A.

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0