View Single Post
      07-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #15
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
as stated - the 18 and 19's have virtually the same diameter so rotational inertia is not an issue. the 18 and 19 PS2 tires also are almost virtually the same weight so that would not affect inertia - if the 19 tire was one pound lighter than yes a slight disadvantage would occur as keeping the wieight closer to the axle is an advantage.

the wieghts of the two e92 OEM tires and wheels have all been posted here before. its clear the 19 tire/wheel wieghs less than the 18 tire wheel combo.
see link below.

as far as e46 wheels? the e46 rear with a DUnlop SSR is 52 pounds.
the e92 rear 19 inch wheel with PS2 mounted is 51.4 pounds. my front e92 19 wheel was 47 pounds.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=weight

As lucid started to say, its not about the total weight (its only a gross reflection of the distributed weight) but its about where the weight is located in the mass. Obviously the wheel/tire combo will have a similar total diameter, but if one w/t combo has most of the weight centered towards the middle close to the hub its very easy to create the centripital force needed to move it round and round. If the mass is farther away its harder. And so thats the reason that a 19" wheel, even when lighter will be worse then a heaver 18" wheel. Now this won't work on the extreme situations (40lb cast 18" wheel vs. 16lb mag 19" wheel). But in most reasonable real world wheel decisions, this rule is almost absolute.

E90post Project 325i

www.creativeautoworks.com
James@creativeautoworks.com
Appreciate 0