05-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #297
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
Thank you for posting that. Regarding familiarization being the excuse for a slower lap time in the GT-R vs. GT3, I don't buy that at all. It's counterintuitive. The GT-R has both DCT and AWD. You can't mis-shift like you can in the GT3 and over judicious use of the throttle isn't going to re-arrange ends of the car. If anything, the high powered, RWD GT3 with manual transmission should be the more difficult car to master, not the "idiot proof" GT-R. Give him more seat time in the GT3 and his times will drop too. Sorry, but you sound like an unabashed Nissan apologist when you claim the GT-R would have been faster with more tries, but assume his times in the GT3 would have stayed the same.

p.s. Regarding his GT-R lap, Andy flat out stated "99% of my lines were perfect". Doesn't sound like he left massive chunks of time out on the track.
Garissimo,

It's clear we aren't going to see eye to eye on anything relating to the GTR, what is cool and I don't really have a problem with that.

After all, how long did it take to convince everyone that the earth wasn't the centre of the universe or that it wasn't even flat.

The only thing I would like to add is from my experience I could always lap quicker when I was familiar with the thing I was driving and that can only come from trial and error. Put me in a Cayman or Boxster (regardless of model or age) and I would consistently be quick than in something that wasn't dramatically quicker but had never before driven which is what was asked of Andy on this occasion. I am 100% certain that Andy is very familiar with the 997 and has covered close on a 100 of laps in them, to do one hot lap in a car which behaviours and characteristics are foreign to you and get to within a 2 seconds of another true track and equally accomplished ring star like the GT3 in my mind says a lot for the GTR and a lot more than you are giving credit for.

So if you think that straight out of the box Andy achieved anything like his best in the GTR then you are mistaken and that is all I have to say on the subject.
Appreciate 0