View Single Post
      09-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
ploo
slow in, slow out
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 997.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
this is a situation where it pays to drive the car as the dealer will only do the scheduled maintenance only that is needed. I just brought my car in 1 month prior to expriation and had wipers done, oil, AC evap changed (huge job!!) and they wouldn't touch the brakes saying they were fine. (car has 42k).. the brakes are fine, but it would be nice to get BMW to foot at least a set of pads. Plugs will be on you @ the 37k, other than that the car is pretty reliable and doesn't require much maintenance (even less than the e46 chassis).
Good luck on the driver's seat as they will most likely tell you it's wear and tear; this may vary from dealer to dealer.

I don't think you're seeing rust around the key cylinder as it is covered in some sort of grease and appears brown on a number of cars I have seen. Again, rub it with your finger to find out, as it may be some corrosion, who knows?
The only good I see from the dealer w/warranty replacements comes with the shitty BMW coated trim panels. My steering wheel cover has been replaced like 3x.

Other than that enjoy the car!
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I'd drive the car more if I wasn't working all the damn time. Out of my roughly 6K/year I'd say almost 50% are for pure aimless driving pleasure. What were you symptoms with the AC evaporator? I've heard of the issue a little bit but so far I haven't had any issues that I've noticed, and I made it through another Texas summer with no signs of trouble. And the reason I haven't rubbed any of the rust off of the keyhole is so I can show the dealer how bad it looks, haha. I will ask them to measure the pads and rotors just in case, but with downshifting to every stop, I doubt there will be any indication to cover under warranty. Worth a shot! Thanks for the good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
i would push on the transmission.mine was replaced under warranty a couple months ago at 37k miles.i mentioned the rough shift from 1-2 and the mechanic said it shouldn't be that way.the shop foreman confirmed it,they started a puma (warranty) case,and within a couple days it was ordered.i paid myself for a break-in trans fluid change when the new one had about 1200 miles on it just to be on the safe side.it's still not as good as the trans on my nsx and other acuras i've had before,but is substantially better than before the fix.

i would also ask about the brakes,especially the fronts.if they're worn enough,you might get pads and rotors.

i had a rattle which turned out to be ac fan related,and got a new fan.debris can get in there and rattle.see if the rattle changes when you change the fan speed for this one.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll see if I can go for a ride with the master tech or someone with experience. If they replaced the transmission, that would be the ideal solution for me. I've driven a '99 or 2000 NSX (pre-fixed light facelift) and do remember the transmission being a joy. The S2000 and 987.1 Cayman S also left an impression on me. One of the biggest letdowns I ever had was an '08 Elise that I drove in 2009 before I eventually decided on the E92. Extremely hard to get into gear, but I think it may have been due to track abuse. Have driven an Exige since then, but I don't have a clear memory of anything especially good or bad about that transmission as I was too busy shitting my pants, haha! I will ask about the brakes and probably will go ahead and mention the rattle. Thanks again.