View Single Post
      10-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #91
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
You must be blind to BMW's business model if you think any of their models will ever come fully equipped for anything. They're not as bad as Porsche to be sure but they definitely get their profits in the options. I remember a few cars (e39 M5, etc) that didn't need much added on but that's it. I added $10k in options or so to my E46 M3. I'm ready to eat it again, especially since we all think that BMW is trying to keep the base down for sales (even in the face of our pathetically weak dollar).

I'm not arguing with the idea that performance should not depend on options, but let's be honest here: PASM, EDC, X51, Ceramic brakes, etc etc etc.

Additionally, the question is only the steering, as the no-frills performance crowd doesn't care about EDC (aftermarket>EDC), doesn't care about DSC as long as it can be turned off and doesn't care about throttle mapping. I hope that the steering can at least be set heavy for you at the dealer.
Keto, do you understand BMW's business model? It's like going to the movies. Hit a matinee and avoid the snack bar and the price of a movie is reasonable. Go at prime time, clean out the snack bar, gain 5 pounds, and blow a remarkable large sum of of money for a movie that you figure out the plot line 5 minutes into it. Movie theaters make all their money from the snack bar. BMW, Porsche, Kia make all their money with options. Porsche's business model does not rip you off with their options. Porschephiles rip themselves off by buying unecessary options. Remember, Porsche cars are sports cars. It is Porshephiles who try to turn their sports cars into sport/GTs with comfort options. Porsche is only happy to oblige them. IMO, the ceramic brakes for 8k are a rip off, they save weight but don't improve braking performance that much over the excellent standard brakes. The Porsche stepchild, 60k Cayman S, doesn't need a single option or upgrade to hit the track on a regular baisis. Can the same be said for any U.S. spec M car?
Appreciate 0