01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBPhD View Post
Is it possible to leave the headlights on??? I have never even moved the selector off of "auto".

So, the three possibilities here is (1) you have a short, or some feature (i.e., auto headlights) is not working, (2) you are no longer charging the battery when the alternator is spinning, or (3) your battery is dead.

Of course, you need to debug the root problem, but I would not think you damaged the battery or alternator when you jumped it . . .

One problem is that (I don't think) a 15 min. drive is enough to replace the energy needed for a start. So, short drives will not help you.
There is a bit of a programming glitch. If you hit the unlock on your key fob (ie. while it's in your pocket), the doors may unlock, but unless you actually OPEN the driver's door the "courtesy lights", brake lights and headlights MIGHT stay on indefinitely.

I've had this happen a few times, but fortunately noticed it while backing out of the garage in my other car. I sat there for a while to see if the lights would go off, and minutes later they did not. Only opening and closing the driver's door seems to help.

Make sure that you watch to see if your lights actually turn off. The auto feature can give you a false sense of security.
Appreciate 0