View Single Post
      02-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #56
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Not the point, you guys always say "a modded 335i could take ______....Point is a modded anything can take "blank". Thats my point
I understand your point. I remember seeing a really old Caravan (when they were turbo 4 cyl) run 10s or something in the 1/4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
I get what you're saying, but I still think your argument is a bit flawed. For a new car @ $50K there isn't a car out there that can touch a 335, in terms of performance, platform, and tuning potential. The N54 is that good.

As htoudiee said, with $2-3K you're into the sub 11's (Z06/Viper territory). You simply CANNOT do this with a Geo, Civic, etc... without spending over double, possibly triple what the car's worth period. The fact that with a few K a "3 series" BMW can keep up with cars like the RS5, Z06, etc....I think pretty much says it all.

Sure the RS5 comes stock with it's specs....but at how much more of a premium? $30K+? I'll take the $50K 335 + $3K in mods anyday, but that's me.
As mentioned, LSx engine, or what about an Evo? Comes stock in the 12's. $2-3k and you are still pushing past 335 with $2-3k.

The 335 is a great car (obviously I think that since I put the money into owning and keeping one), but let's be realistic and acknowledge that sometimes other cars can be better. You can add 'in some categories' if you feel like it.