View Single Post
      02-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
A lot of our cars have come off of free dealer maintenance,and many more will be doing so soon.This is what I have worked up as what I plan to do to maintain my car.I hope to keep it a long time,and take pleasure in a car that runs well,so I would rather over-maintain than under-maintain,especially on a high-performance car like the M3.This comes from reading on this forum, and from discussions with a friend who is a BMW master technician and with a friendly SA at my dealer. I also looked at and give credit to Mike Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic. I once changed plugs on an old car,and made sure not to overtighten them on the advice of a mechanic friend.I of course undertightened them,and one blew out of the cylinder,causing the worst engine noise you ever heard (didn't hurt anything.) I actually have very few useful skills,although I can get speeding tickets reduced,which can come in handy.I am pretty good at reading,remembering,and pulling stuff together.
This,then is not meant to be THE WORD. It's just a framework for discussion and opinions.I would love to hear from some of the more mechanically ept (yeah,i know it's not a word) members of the forum.

OIL AND FILTER- Every 5k to 7.5k miles,or 1 year, whichever comes first.

MANUAL TRANS,DIFFERENTIAL FLUIDS, ENGINE & CABIN AIR FILTERS- At least every 30k miles.
DCT FLUID- Not sure,don't have one.
ALSO, EVERY 30K MILES- Inspect brakes, engine and transmission mounts, belts or pulleys (not sure of terminology here), tensioner, idler pulley,hoses. Replace belts, pulleys, hoses,water pump and related parts by 100k miles if not sooner.

SPARK PLUGS- Every 30k to 37k (The manual says at 37k.)

SHOCKS- 50k to 60k

BRAKE FLUID- Every 2 years. (This is what the manual rec's)

COOLANT- Every 3 or 4 years (The manual says it's lifetime fill! I don't believe such a thing exists.)

POWER STEERING FLUID- Every 30k

FUEL FILTER- Don't think this is a maintenance item because it's in the gas tank,maybe incorporated into a fuel pump.

ADJUST VALVES- Not needed, the S65 engine has hydraulic lifters which I believe do not need adjustment.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Have at it.
I was thinking about oil change intervals the other day and was going to go with a 7.5/k or 6 mos, whichever comes first, approach. With a high strung engine, waiting a year makes me a bit nervous.
Appreciate 0