05-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
HansW
Private
Rep
Drives: looking for an E46 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Ohlins and Swift spring combination

I recently got the Ohlins R & T coil overs with Swift springs with higher spring rates than the standard Ohlins springs that come with the set up. After reading, chatting, watching and generally over thinking the final decision, I made the big, and costly, move to go this direction over many other options. After installation along with the Vorshlag camber plates, corner balancing and alignment, the car looked to sit much higher in the front than it should. I compared online photos, stock competition pack photos and pics of my car before. The shop said they matched the height from stock, my request, but it looked noticeably higher. I had many people look and agree with me on this. I took it back to the shop, they lowered it more and it still looked higher than what I feel was a good looking height, especially compared to the rear. The installer said that there was hardly anymore room to lower it further and this was nearly maxed out.
I have a certain amount of faith in the shop that did the install, but still got a second opinion from another reputable shop and they agreed the install was done properly and there was a little more room to lower, but not a lot.
The original shop contacted Ohlins who told them the spring rates of the Swift springs were too high and they needed to reset the struts to compensate for this fact. Their recommendation was to put the original springs back on the system or send them the struts to be adjusted.
I find this almost outrageous and totally insane. What the hell should I do?
Has anyone heard of anything similar?
Appreciate 0