View Single Post
      02-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc19 View Post
I actually think this is a good discussion point... maybe a lot of us do not know how to properly handle an m3, nor do we take the time to learn how to properly handle an m3 in a safe environment and we do not know where the limits are (DSC or no DSC).
Right, and that was sort of what I was getting at. A safety on a gun is there to protect both the person using the gun and others around them. I imagine that even a very good marksman (if that's the right word) appreciates that safety. In the same way, even an expert driver probably appreciates DSC.

Quote:
Honestly, I think the "keeping the finger off the trigger and keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction" for an M3 is driving responsibly on public roads. By driving responsibly I mean driving within or close to the posted speed limits, proper distance between cars, proper lane changes, no "exhibition of speed" from stop lights/signs. Doing that will keep you from getting anywhere near the limits of this car, and you should have the DSC on in those rare occasions you get close to the limit. When an M3 is handled correctly on a public road you probably would never need the DSC. When you are risking others safety on public roads I really don't think there is any other way to drive.
It sounds very reasonable.

Also consider this point I haven't seen mentioned (I may have missed it): Even professional drivers get into accidents. Now granted, this will most often be while they are driving on a race course. Furthermore, obviously being on a race course during a competition, with other drivers adding to the hazards makes these accidents much more common, sometimes even unavoidable. Would DSC help avoid some of these accidents or mishaps? Probably, and in fact many race cars do have some form of traction control (if perhaps not full blown stability control). But more importantly, the key here is that while you may be able to control your car just fine when driving alone and in known conditions, once you add other cars, drivers, and hazards into the mix all bets are off.
Appreciate 0