United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have more problems with DCT.

First, its sometimes hard to tell what gear you are going into. For me, gear selection is a much more conscious effort with the DCT. Then the car is so quiet its hard to hear when you are banging against the redline until it dies out. Then there just a lot more shifting. So a manual maybe physically challenging...I'll take that over diverting mental capacity and my eyes to gear shifts.

It takes me an entire day to really get into the rhythm and gear shifts consistent with the DCT. Takes me one session with a 6sp.
I normally drive a 6-spd, but drove BMW's DCTs at VIR. If you don't try to skip gears, I think that the DCT is incredibly simple. At the end of the straight and hill after Oak Tree, I loved down shifting as I left-foot braked and turned into the series of turns while scrubbing off a bunch of speed. With the DCT I simply downshifted one gear at a time as the RPMs fell. Upshifting is also great because you simple keep your foot on the floor and shift.

With the DCT I don't think "which gear" and only think "next gear". I'm either going up or going down, keeping the RPM up over 3,000 and grabbing the "next gear" when revs dictate.

Dave