08-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #50
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
All true except your last sentence....remember when the m1 hommage was introduced? chief designer van hoidonk told if bmw wanted, it had the tech and knowhow to build one...
It is one thing to have the tech and knowhow and another to have existing car with this technology. I have said it before here and I will say it again... as I am working for BMW, I know that it takes approx. 3 years to mate existing engine to existing body. It is a whole another story when you are making a supercar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
I don't blame BMW only, there are MB and Audi also working with more or less electric sportcar. And, like you said, perhaps Ferrari messing with hybrids too. Still, who wants to buy them if "real" sportcars are available? ED is fine, nothing to complain. And it's nice to see M-cars have that technology used. But if in future BMW M-models will have hybrid/electric powertrains...well...I see very little sense in it. Even GT cars are the different story, but if you start to diminish performance & feel of the sportcar in order to lower emissions, you soon need no sportcar product line at all.
I think BMW is long way from producing M hybrid. Only this year they are rolling out their first hybrids so I don't think the next hybrid will be a M-model. I wouldn't understand that either... maybe in 10 years, but not yet.

When I refer to ED technology, I think for example KERS which could be something useful in whichever model. And yes, I genuinely think that people would buy hybrid supercars/sportcars if the technology used makes them better than ordinary sportcars.

World changes and I think it is a good thing if BMW changes with it... even if it means hybrid/electric sportcars.
Appreciate 0