09-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Just drove a '10 GT 5 speed with the 19" wheels and 3.55 gears, but no track pack.

Build quality was more than adequate for the price. Everything felt fine. Seats were quite comfortable and easy to get positioned perfectly for my 5'10" height, with good outward visibility.

Nice clutch action, and shifter throws were spot on. Felt a lot like the last 3 series I drove with a manual for throws and feel. The sound was glorious, and it pulled hard everywhere. Brakes were definitely not like Mustang brakes of old: preogressive, predictable, and stopped quickly and smoothly. Wish old musclecars worked that good!

Steering was precise, too. No dead spot in the center like older Fords had. very responsive and easy to flick. And on the rough roads around Baltimore here, it rode as good as my 7, and didn't give any drama from the rear end. I've been in IRS cars that skittered worse over bumps (granted, they were generally set up to pull around 1G laterally, but just goes to show, if you want good grip and no lean, then there won't be much suspension compliance, be it live axle or IRS). I'd like to try a track pack equipped car, as they are supposed to be even better for handling and axle control.

These aren't sports cars. Mustangs never were. The idea was a small musclecar that was competent road racing as well as drag racing. The originals were, and so are the new ones (as multiple road racing victories in the US and Europe against BMWs and Porsches will attest). If you think it's a boat, then you haven't been in many mid size and larger cars.

Appreciate 0