Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
PHD in what?
Biomedical Engineering, specifically in neural engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
You're a prospective PhD and you have that kind of dough to spend on gear? I'm impressed. I work with a dozen PhD candidates and they're all broke. Good luck with the defense. You'll do fine, I'm sure.
Well... I have done quite a few consulting jobs and own my own computer company... so, actually those help pay for my car and photography gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Where there's a will there's a way. I remember being broke enough during my grad school years that I sometimes ran out of food money by the end of the month. But I still somehow came up with enough money for the engine swap, suspension mods and several sets of wheels/tires to feed my autocross addiction at the time. Keeping an eye out for used gear on the cheap helped a lot - and proved to be a useful habit to retain once out in the real world...

Yikes! I just realized my thesis defense was almost exactly 25 years ago... god, I must be old.
What did you do yours in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ View Post
Okay I have been thinking alot about holding off getting a new car and just upgrading my current photo equipment since it is getting very old (Canon 20d with kit lens)
Here's what I would possibly buy, any thoughts/comments?

Thanks!
I recommend the 7D if you want APS-C, otherwise 5DM2 if you want full-frame. I am in the same boat (also own a 20D) and decided on the 5D, whether the mark II now or mark III next year, I dunno.

Lens wise, I chose the 70-200mm f/4L IS since it's much lighter than the f/2.8s and also had IS since I shoot without a tripod most of the time. Similarly, I chose the 24-105mm f/4L IS lens because it was lighter than the 24-70mm f/2.8L. I've also heard its hard to find a really sharp copy of the 24-70mm one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ View Post
I have just heard a lot of good reviews on the tokina and can get a good deal on one from a friend. How does the tokina compare to the canon?
Well, the basic decision relates to the price. I think the general consensus is the Canon is overall better, but costs more. So, if you can afford it, go with the Canon, but the Tokina is also no slouch.