View Single Post
      01-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
I always thought it was sealant on top of wax. But I use meguairs paste for black cars (jet black haha) and the new tech one in the black bottle for other colors and they work great. From what I have researched, its either/or between sealant and wax since they serve the same function, except that sealant provides a slightly more resistant coat, but not as sparkly. I use wax on my car, then an acrylic sealant for the bumper since it takes all the crap. The wax holds nicely against all the other nonsense, like rain, dust, dirt, bird sh&t, etc. So far my paint is pretty clean with only some swirls around it. I daily drive my car like 18k mi per year so not all damage is preventable, but I try new ways to minimize issues, like foaming and rinsing first, then taking the mitt/bucket. With that being said, even after two weeks of not washing and tons of dust/dirt build up, if you stand more than a couple feet from my car, it looks super shiny and slick. One of my buddies actually asked how i kept my car so clean all the time, and i told him to walk closer and it was pretty dirty haha. He was really surprised.

Oh on another note: let the wax dry THOROUGHLY prior to removing it, especially if youre using meguiars (I learned the hard way haha). it comes off way easier when its completely dry with zero effort. But if its not totally dry, its becomes a real pain. I usually cover the whole car then wait 5-10 mins.

Additionally for my regular maintenance I use a wash n' wax after the car is dry to just fully clean the paint and help maintain the wax layer and remove any water spots. I rewax every few months. Hope this helps
No, if you are going to do both, then sealant goes on first. It's supposed to bond to the paint (can't do that if there's always wax). I really like Menzerna Powerlock, stuff is super easy to use,

I throw on some spray on wax on top after maintenance wash. Car beads water like crazy
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0