08-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #59
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
For sure but that's not really the point. The M3 needs to be modded to keep up - no one's doubting that. But assuming a person has say $100K to spend in total, what could that get you?

For that amount of $$$, you could get a new GTR, a used 911T, or you could have a new M3 with mods: an intercooled S/C, titanium exhaust, BBK, coils, tires for the same price (actually less).

The M3 will be fastest in a roll race. From a dead stop the M3 will be playing catch-up and perhaps it's all even by the end of the quarter mile. At the track who knows...the M3 has stepped it up with coils/brakes/tires but the stock GTR and 911T are formidable and which one is faster really depends on the particular track and driver competency. My guess is that for a novice, the GTR and 911T will be faster given the grip levels.

All three cars will be tons of fun.

Sure with unlimited $$$ you could make the 911T and GTR way faster. But that's not really what the OP was after.
The idea of a super modded M3 is definitely cool. In fact, I had thought about getting the ESS 625 kit when I still had my M3. But how durable is the motor going to be over the long run? Your warranty will be voided on the spot if you still have warranty. The motor obviously will not last nearly as long, and if something happens you have to pay $$$ to get the motor fixed or replaced. The engine in the 997.1 turbo is pretty much bulletproof; essentially the same block as the GT1 race car. The GTR motor is very stout as well. It is much better to stick with a car that comes stock FI such as the GTR or Turbo versus going FI in the M3. You have warranty on those cars, on the M3 you will not. Those cars have suspension, brakes, drive shafts, etc that were meant to take the abuse of 500+ hp and torque all day long. I'm not so sure about this matter in the M3. Plus in the end, much easier to sell a stock or relatively stock GTR or Turbo than an insanely modded M3. Much less headache.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0