View Single Post
      04-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Guys, a few observations about torque from my side. An M3 actually has more torque at the wheels than a 335 above ~2000 rpms, stock vs stock, due to the aggresive gearing its wider rev band allows for (for 6MT, the difference is in the final drive ratios and not the individual gear ratios: 3.85 vs. 3.08). So, I must say that torque is not an issue given the two cars weigh close. I have never had any problems with finding the torque that I needed/could safely put down at the track, and I don't feel like it requires excessive shifting with the stock gear ratios. You might need to shift a bit more with DCT, but that's what it's for! My 2 cents...
I didn't make my point well. My point was that the n54 stops making power well before redline. So, if I wanna go fast, shifting at redline is counter productive. That hot day in the desert, I was shifting even shorter because I wasn't hunting for tenths. I had other things to work on besides finding speed.

By no means was I making a torque compairson. I was pointing out that to drive an N54 fast, you lots of room in the rev range to be at peak power. But, a revvy engine has only one place in the rev range where there's peak power.
Appreciate 0