View Single Post
      11-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Sounds more like a rattle than a problem IMO. That kind of light metal rattling is usually emitted by heat shields. I'd get under the car, remove the tranny cover, and carefully check everything all around, especially the heat shields. Also wiring, lines, and anything else. After that, if you keep listening the noise, it's going to be something else. Oh, and you could also remove the shifer boot, to see if noise is louder, meaning it's definitely coming from under there. Sometimes noises telegraph in a way you think they're coming from some place, and source is on a totally different location.

But yes, I'd definitely investigate myself before allowing a dealer drive the crap out of my car for nothing. MUCH better to tell a dealer where the rattle is (if you can't fix it), than letting them find it, usually with unsuccessful results (plus many scratches in the process ).

Finally, how many miles on your car? And did it start making that noise recently, or it's been there all along? If recently, any service or modifications done, or any unusual event, like hitting something on the road, etc? Good luck man.
Appreciate 0