View Single Post
      04-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #42
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
yeah, lots of folks confuse the possibly "bad" ping with the normal relatively loud valve noise. There are lots of heat-induced pings/pops all over the car after hard driving, and those are also totally normal. It seems likely that your problem is that you have a normal M3
Thanks for the confirmation. I've only had the car for 5 thousand miles and it has just over 19,000 miles on it so I've always assumed these sounds were totally normal. I was just curious to see if others might be confusing the "failing bearing ticking sound" with the normal sounds of a warming engine or the valve clack which I always assumed was also normal to these engines. In my case I will continue to drive the car and so far it just says give me more! I may think differently once I'm out of my warranty period as a ($25,000?) engine is a little much to buy.

I've listened to the video posted above which was supposed to point out the bearing noise in question. I did hear the noise, but I wasn't sure what I was hearing. What do you guys hear in the video posted above?
Cheers,
TX.