View Single Post
      10-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #17
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I drove in the midst of the heaviest snow storm in my 325 last year with snow tires and made it home. Many front wheel drive cars got stuck in that storm. The M3 should actually do rather well with LSD--something the 325 and 99.9% of the cars do not have--as long as you have snow tires. But the real point of snow tires is more about driving in low temps and hitting patches of ice when it's not snowing (performance tires lose their grip in the cold whereas snow tires don't). The point of the cheaper/smaller wheels is that you don't want to ruin your nice expensive 19" wheels in the hole infested winter roads--they will be ruined in Boston. It sounds like some folks have not lived in areas with tough winters, so they can't relate to these two points. These wheels are a good alternative to the tirerack setup, and that's why I'm posting the pics. This is not a beauty contest. I'm not going to park my M for 4-6 months just because it is winter. Life's too short for that kind of measure IMO...