09-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

A "SMART" strategy made by BMW?

Hi ..
many bloggers are asking to themself why to compare the M3 to the PorscheGT3.
Now like you know someone else will compare the M3 to the Black Series on Sport Auto in the next few days. Someone else compared the M3 to the R8. And so on.
I suspect that this could be a fantastic strategy made by BMW.Marketing ...True "marketing".Very smart in my opinion. I explain:
if I have to promote a very nice product (new one), and I have to compare it to something similar (RS4,since C63 is still missing) and I would be probably a winner but not destroying the competitor...and in the meantime I need to protect my history (more than 20 years)...I get probably a poor result and the market will answer in one way.The answer could be...:
yes good product but not probably like I expected....
But..:
if compare my new product with something else, much stronger, much more expencive, much more appealing and I loose, but I am not destroied
by it, I will create a differente and probably better feeling in my customers. They will think that my product can't win but (less power,much heavier,but much cheaper!!!)in the meantime has lost with "Honour", and this will probably create something in my soul that will push me to better accept the new product.And his big qualities....
In other words: it is better (for marketing) to win for one second to a direct and similar concurrent, or to loose for several seconds (but not too much anyway) from a much stronger competitor?

What do you think? could be?
Appreciate 0