10-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
What people seem to forget is that a warranty costs more than the average cost of repairs over the life of the warranty. If it didn't every insurance company in the world would be out of business. We all know how little money insurance companies make; right? For every one person that gets his money back from the extended warranty there are two others that don't.

REPEAT AFTER ME:
An extended warranty is a sucker's bet.

Of course there are exceptions out there. The underwriters that wrote the Audi RS/6 warranties all took it in the shorts. CPO added a couple of grand and change to the cost of a used RS/6. No service on that engine (twin turbo V8) ever got out of the shop for less than $3k. Flat rate for an oxygen sensor change out was over $3k.
Your logic is dead-on...The math may tilt more in someones favor depending on how long they keep the car, milage, how hard the car was driven etc..

I suppose it also just gets down to how much discretionary income one has to toss at a warranty and how much more sleep one will get having it.

I personally have some time, but some of the modding I do in the interim is somewhat predicated on how long I intend on keeping the car, so it's in the back of my mind today.