View Single Post
      07-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi SQ5

Switch: E92 M3 to B8 S4 and back to E92 M3

BLUF: Went from a E92 M3 to a B8 S4 and decided to go back to the E92 M3...for a good reason.

In early 2012 I made the switch from a 600 awhp Evo to a Jet Black 2009 E92 M3 that had full Dinan bolt ons with the M-DCT. I loved the switch even though the M3 wasn't as fast, obviously. I drove the car for about 7 months and then we deployed back to Afghanistan for 9 months. During the deployment about halfway through, some chick in a big truck backed into the M3 going a few miles an hour, resulting in repaint of the rear bumper, and some of the quarter panel. Upon redeployment, I noticed it had some flaws in it, as obviously it will never be 100%. I always knew what had happened, even though most others couldn't tell.

These little flaws bugged me, even though I only drove the car twice a week (had a 2007 Audi A4 6MT as a daily), so I decided I was going to start looking for a car. Living in NC with little to no snow I decided I wanted another M3 but with the possibility of moving to Maryland (where it does snow) I looked at RS4s. When I couldn't find an RS4 with low miles within 1000 miles of me, I started looking at the B8 S4. I found one about 100 miles away...a 2012 Glacier White S4 Prestige (DSG, not 6MT) that had full APR bolt ons...and only 6000 miles on the odometer. I decided to trade the M3 and the A4, since the mileage was so low. I was happy...the car was faster than the M3 to 100+mph but just didn't quite feel the same, handling wise. The M3 was definitely more of a driver's car than the S4. I started to regret the decision, but decided this was the smart move in the long run and that I would buy another M3 down the line. Less than 4 weeks after switching to the S4, and regretting the S4 more and more...I found out Maryland was no longer an option and that I would move to Florida instead and that I couldn't stand not having Emma (the M3) around.

Finally found a bone stock 2011 Melbourne Red E92 M3 with 6MT less than 20,000 miles in New Jersey. I decided this was the car for me. I drove 11 hours up to trade the S4 in and got my Emma back. I have never been happier...

In the end, I did lose some money from the S4 but I am extremely glad I went back to the M3. The S4 was extremely nice and very fast, but just didn't have the same feel or driver input as the M3. I plan on keeping this M3 forever, as these E9X M3s are the last full bred M3, with BMW switching to forced induction emissions and gas friendly cars. Sure, the new F8X M3/M4 is faster, lighter and will go around a track faster, but nothing beats the steering feel, directness and the sound of the 8300rpm S65B40 V8 that the E9X generation M3 possesses.
13 Mineral White E92 M3 (Sold)
11 Melbourne Red E92 M3 (Sold)

Last edited by BAMFM3; 08-10-2020 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 1