View Single Post
      04-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Newbie Question

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the community here and I wanted to ask something that's been on my mind for awhile. As I said, I'm new to the community and also new to modifying my car. I just got my M in December and haven't done a thing to it...I've never been a DIY guy really, and I get real excited when I see some of the amazingly creative things some of the guys here do to their cars. So, I'm relocating this summer and getting a nice new job at an oil company so more money is going to be coming in. With that being said, when my current tires go out I want to replace them and get new wheels.

I want to change out my wheels and tires for something more aggressive. I love the stock 19" wheels that came on mine, but I also love the looks of the EC-7's. I've seen a ton of people running different setups (in regards to wheel and tires sizes), but I'm not sure what to run myself. I understand tire sizes 100%, but what I DON'T understand is:

1) Wheel sizes (like what does ET and the number after that mean)
2) For certain wheel sizes, how do you know if a spacer is required
3) How do you know a tire is too large for the wheel

Also, for those of you who did increase your tires size, do you end up spending more on tire changes than before? Significantly more? The reason why I ask is because I'm a recent college grad, new job, relocating to a new city, and trying to spend sensibly...

Overall, I'm asking: what's the most aggressive (yet reasonable) tire and wheel combo (for the EC-7's) without the need of spacers, on a stock setup, without rubbing?

If y'all could help me out or point me in the right direction, it would be super appreciated. Like I said, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, but was kind of scared I would get crucified...

Have a great day guys!
Appreciate 0