10-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Supply and demand. There just aren't many of them out there. I'm sure the price will go down when the M2 is released though. But I do agree the 1M will be a classic like an E30 M3 IMO
No, I don't think it will be a future classic. It doesn't really have the makings of one -- it has absolutely no racing heritage, unlike the E30 M3, it was a parts bin "afterthought" by BMW, and generally turbo engines aren't the hallmark of what you want in a classic, particularly not a BMW classic. The only things it has going for it is scarcity and was generally considered to be a good car, albiet generally inferior to the E92 M3 where many of the parts were scavenged from. Personally I think it's a market bubble from people speculating that it will be a future classic, rather than supported by fundamentals, but I guess we will see.

The original R32 went through something similar, though not nearly to the same degree, where 2-3 years after it was introduced, used examples were fetching at least as much if not more than it sold for new, but at 5+ years it started dropping like anything else once people started moving on to other cars. A nice unmodded low mileage example (mine certainly wouldn't qualify) still fetches a pretty good percentage of the original asking, so the 1M might follow that model, but I think anyone that pays 60k + for a 1M right now is going to be very sorry.