View Single Post
      01-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maypo View Post
I have also found 32mm to be the ideal offset for shoe-horning max rubber in the rear of my car, which has been lowered 1.5 inches.

This past year I autocrossed with 315/30x18 Hoosier A6 on 11.5", 32mm offset wheels and, although there was 5mm, or so, of clearance inside and outside, both shoulders rubbed when at 'competition' speed. The outside was mainly affected by vertical travel (the fender line curves inward), and the inner was shear lateral loading. So, for reference, I think a car which has been lowered 1.5 inches and uses 2×stock spring rates could do a 305 tire/11" wheel combo, which would be about 16mm narrower than my current setup -- again, with 32mm offset. And keep an eye on the OD: a 19 tire would be problematic.
This is great feedback. Thank you Maypo. My car is lowered say ˝ inch +/- with Eibach but Bilstein’s raise the car a bit. Long and short, very comparable to the ZCP in height but spring rates are not double and only 20% stiffer (if that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFUM3 View Post
Haven't tracked mine yet and I'm on stop suspension but I'm running forgestars 19x11+33 with a 305/35 and zero rubbing I've had four people in the car and still nothing in hoping to hit the track a few times this year and hope I don't have to downgrade to a 295
Thanks CifuM3. So I guess with 18 inch wheels vs your 19 and slight lowering, it gives me a bit of comfort factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I've just never seen anyone stuff a wider 305 in the rear. NT01s are usually pretty wide and the shoulder blocks are pretty squared. I do know that some have done 305 street tires.

Not saying it can't be done but it will be pretty damned right...would be awesome though!

Agreed that a 275 square setup is an economical setup (as economical as tracking can get). I think a wider rear tire would work great on this chassis especially if you're on OE dampers.
Bigjae, am very excited about this setup especially since I know bigger rear benefits the car (my case and my style of driving). Yeah those NT01s are wide indeed. RA1s which the MerkedM3 ran are identical to NT01 in size and I am mimicking his setup. I got Richbot's blessings as well

Its marginal cost here in terms of yes I wont be able to rotate and may have to change rear tires prematurely if I burn up the fronts (can flip tires on wheels though and alternate sides). But fact I go to the track say 3-4 weekends a year with this car (3-4 weekends will be with the 911S), I really want to maximize my fun factor with this car. Yes the squares work but I want more grip. Even though the grip be marginal, its one of those things which had been planted in my head and I want to do it. Very very excited. Placing order this evening. Thanks all who responded. I will be back with more pics once I get the wheels (custom so will take up to 4 weeks).

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0